Wed | Aug 16, 2017

Vaz walks free in corruption trial

Published:Monday | February 16, 2015 | 2:06 PM

The corruption case against Opposition parliamentarian Daryl Vaz has been dismissed. 

Vaz's trial got underway in the Corporate Area Criminal Court this morning but the Crown was dealt a blow after the main witness said he could not recall the details of the 2012 incident. 

As the court resumed this afternoon, prosecutors offered no further evidence and Resident Magistrate Maxine Ellis later told Vaz he was free to go. 

Vaz was charged for breaches of the Corruption Prevention Act. He had denied the allegations. 

Prosecutors alleged that Vaz met with police Sergeant Jubert Llewellyn in a Corporate Area parking lot and promised him gold bars for not pursuing charges against St Andrew businessman Bruce Bicknell.

At the time Bicknell had been arrested and charged by Llewellyn for allegedly offering him a bribe when he was stopped on the Florizel Glasspole Highway for speeding.

Bicknell, who was jointly charged with Vaz and former Senior Superintendent of Police James Forbes, with breaches of the Corruption Prevention Act has been freed of all charges.

Forbes was convicted and fined $800,000.