Thu | Aug 17, 2017

WHO surprised by measles outbreak

Published:Wednesday | February 25, 2015 | 2:07 PM

The World Health Organization (WHO) says measles vaccinations must be immediately stepped up across Europe and central Asia after a series of outbreaks.

Officials say they have been taken aback by the more than 22,000 cases last year and the first months of this year.

The WHO says the surges threaten the goal of eliminating measles in the region by the end of this year. 

According to the organisation, a growing number of parents are refusing to vaccinate their children or are facing barriers in getting the immunisations they need.