Positioning yourself to build your career
If you want to succeed, the very first step is to invest in yourself. Take the time to get to know yourself in order to make the best decisions that are suited for you.
For example, if you are self-motivated, then you will be able to go to the gym or do some exercise on your own or do something that interests you, but if you are not self-motivated, then you may find that you prefer to have support to make these things happen.
Are you a morning person or not? Knowing yourself will be helpful.
Have a clear set of goals outlined and have a step-by-step process to achieving them. Remember that goals must be 'SMART' - specific, measurable, attainable, and realistic.
A positive outlook and attitude will be crucial and will help to build your career. Surround yourself with positive people that are progressive, positive, and those you can learn from. Identify what is success to you as people measure success differently.
Life can present some challenges that can appear impossible to overcome, but as you position yourself to build your career, it is also important to strengthen you spiritually. Have faith, pray, and be thankful.
Commitment, discipline, passion, patience, and hard work will help you to achieve your goals. Resistance is a huge contributor to why we don't achieve the things we want. As you wake up in the morning, challenge and overcome resistance as it is designed to cripple your progress. This will prove to be a powerful support system.
Here are ten guidelines to help you be positioned for success.
1. Start your mornings with a positive attitude and a heart of gratitude.
2. Read and keep up to date with what's happening in the world of business, local, and international relations.
3. Identify your weaknesses and formulate a plan to improve them.
4. Get in the habit of using a check list to help keep you organised.
5. Prepare all you need for the day, the night before.
6. Take time to know yourself and treat learning seriously.
7. Always have an updated rÈsumÈ ready to send out.
8. Exercise, eat right, rest, and take care of yourself.
9. Surround yourself with positive people who will help to keep you on a progressive and positive path.
10. Always have an outfit that's ready at a moment's notice for each category of dress. It is best to be prepared and not have an opportunity than to have an opportunity and not be prepared. Planning and preparation are the key to success.
- Laura Butler is a business and career development consultant with Fusion Consulting Jamaica. She serves as a consultant to some of the leading companies in Jamaica and has been a consultant to numerous leaders in the Caribbean and North America. She can be contacted at email@example.com or 469-427-2007.