10 Outstanding Business Leaders
Many great business leaders have made significant contributions to Jamaica over the years. Here are 10 of those still making big moves today.
1. Don Wehby Chief executive officer of GraceKennedy. He's known as a quick thinker and has been making big gains for that company since he took on the top job.
2. Earl Jarrett General manager of Jamaica National Building Society (JNBS) since October 1999. He joined the society in May 1997. He is also chairman of the JNBS Foundation, the Jamaica Automobile Association (Services) Ltd, JN Overseas (US) Inc, JN Overseas (UK) Limited, and JN Overseas (Canada) Limited.
3. Donna Duncan-Scott She has been the managing director of Jamaica Money Market Brokers Ltd since 1998 and serves as its group executive director of culture and human development. She is also a qualified engineer.
4. Jacqueline Sharp President and chief executive officer of Scotiabank. Her appointment to the top job was historic, as she was the bank's first female boss. It also made Scotia Group the only stock market company with both a female chairman and CEO.
5. Audrey HinchcliffeThis Jamaican businesswoman is head of Manpower and Maintenance Services Ltd. She was also invited by former United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to join the US Department of State's International Council on Women's Business Leadership for a two-year term. Hinchcliffe is principal of Caribbean Health Management Consultants Limited.
6. Karl Hendrickson He is the founder of the National baking empire, which has expanded over the years and now includes business interests in the hotel and agro-processing sectors. The family businesses which he started employs more than 4,000 persons.
7. Phillip Gore Executive chairman of Gore Developments. He has received many awards for his work in shaping the construction industry and for contributing to the economic development of Jamaica. He is also well known for charity work.
8. Glen Christian Chairman and founder of Cari-Med and Kirk Distributors. His experience spans more than 40 years working in the pharmaceutical and fast-moving consumer goods industries. Cari-Med boasts a staff compliment of 380 and is one of the leading pharmaceutical companies in the Caribbean.
9. BASIL JOHNSONFounder and managing director of Montego Bay-based Discount Lumber & Hardware Limited, Discount Lumber Limited, and Discount Mart Limited. He is a self-made businessman and has for many years provided employment to many persons in the west.
10. Fred Smith Managing director of Tropical Tours and Exclusive Holidays Limited. He has excelled in the tourism ground-transportation business. Smith has operated and managed his companies well, allowing him to be among the leading businessmen in Montego Bay and, by extension, western Jamaica.