Fri | Dec 14, 2018

Guyanese rice farmers warned against planting due to dry conditions

Published:Friday | January 22, 2016 | 12:58 PM

The Guyanese government is advising rice farmers to delay sowing their fields as the dry season begins to take effect.

Agriculture Minister Noel Holder says efforts are being made to ensure there is enough water to save the crop that is already planted.

Holder says while some farmers have already planted as much as 90 per cent of their fields, the agriculture ministry wants to avoid a situation where there is no water for the remaining 10 per cent.

He says once the current crops continue as scheduled, then harvesting will be done in March or April, and lands will then be prepared to take advantage of the May/June rains.

The Ministry of Agriculture says it is working with other agencies such as the Civil Defence Commission, and the National Drainage and Irrigation Authority to monitor the areas hardest hit by the current dry weather conditions.

The Commission’s Director General, retired Colonel Chabilall Ramsarup, has urged residents to conserve water.

A government statement said at present, all the conservancies are below full supply which means there is no natural flow of water.