Haitians ignore opposition calls for street demonstrations
PORT AU PRINCE, Haiti, CMC – Haiti was showing signs of returning to a level of normalcy on Tuesday after residents dismissed calls by opposition parties for two days of street protest to force President Jovenel Moise out of office.
After a week of being paralysed by acts of violence and demonstrations, schools re-opened on Monday and businesses in the capital Port au Prince as well as in the provisional cities were re-opening.
Officials said public transport and taxis were on the streets and several trade union leaders have taken to the airwaves denouncing the action called by the Democratic and Popular Movement (DPM), an opposition grouping of 20 political parties.
Police have maintained a strong presence in the capital and Interior Minister Jean-Marie Reynaldo Brunet said the government had outlined new measures that would allow members of the population to go freely about their activities.
Brunet condemned the acts of violence during the street protest last week adding that the demonstrations had taken the form of urban guerrilla warfare.
He warned that any destabilising action against the backdrop of “peaceful demonstrations” will not be tolerated and that the security agencies were instructed by the Prime Minister to fully assume their responsibilities.