Tue | May 21, 2019

Jamaica-born businessman abducted in Trinidad, partner detained

Published:Wednesday | April 17, 2019 | 4:57 PM

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad:
Police are continuing their search for 30-plus-year-old Jamaica-born businessman, Yohan Chin, who was abducted from his home in south Trinidad on Sunday by men pretending to be cops.

The police say they believe a US$6 million ransom is being asked for Chin’s release and have detained his 36-year-old business partner.

The police say the partner had reported the kidnapping to them on Tuesday evening.

According to the police, in his report to them, the partner said on Sunday evening, he received a call from Chin indicating that earlier during the day armed men, two wearing ski masks and two with hats each with the word 'police' written on it came to his home.

He reportedly said Chin indicated that he had been taken to an unknown location and had asked him to organise some money, promising to call back with further instructions.

The police said the partner told them that Chin later called and gave him further instructions, including to go to his home and secure a Porsche car for safe keeping.

But according to the partner, when he arrived at the house, it was ransacked.

A woman, who lives in San Juan, was reportedly awakened by a commotion in the house and saw men dressed in police task force uniform.

On Tuesday, Chin is reported to have again called the partner asking him to sell the Porsche as well as his personal car, a Mercedes Benz.

The victim also reportedly called the business partner several times and asked him to contact their lawyer to organise and sell a piece of land which they intended to do business.

We want to hear from you! Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169, email us at editors@gleanerjm.com or onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com.