Arrests pending in kidnapping of Jamaican businessman Yohan Chin
PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, CMC – The police are continuing investigations following the release of a Jamaican businessman who was kidnapped in April.
The police report that the relatives of Yohan Chin paid an undisclosed sum of money to his kidnappers who released him earlier this week.
His release came one month after the relatives placed an advertisement, via a local security-based firm, in which they were “reaching out to his abductors to please call them to complete the negotiations for his safe release.”
Chin, who was staying at an “undisclosed location”, contacted his relatives shortly after his release.
The police, who have been tight-lipped about the case, say that doctors have given Chin a clean bill of health.
They also said arrests are pending.
It’s reported that on April 14 gunmen dressed in police clothing kidnapped Chin.
It is believed that Chin was lured to T&T by his kidnappers on April 10 under the pretence of securing a new business deal, but was taken from his Palmiste home in San Fernando by men geared in ski masks with ‘Police’ displayed on their hats.
A few days after the kidnapping, Chin’s business partner lodged a report with the police, claiming that the Jamaican had made contact from an undisclosed location, and requested that the partner organise TT$400,000 for transfer, without telling the cops.
He said that Chin later called him with instructions to pool together US$6 million by selling a Porsche Panamera, a Mercedes-Benz, and a piece of land the Jamaican owned.
The trail had gone cold for some time and leads dried up, without knowledge of whether Chin was alive.
Police sources had also reportedly said that the kidnappers were difficult to track, as they preferred using “old-school methods” of communication.