Mon | Oct 22, 2018

C.H. Robertson | Digicel Play a customer service nightmare

Published:Wednesday | August 3, 2016 | 12:00 AM


It is out of sheer frustration that I am forced to write about the poor service I have received from Digicel.

I have had Digicel Play for just over three weeks, having been 'forced' to continue with the service after Telstar sold the business to them. At approximately 3:30. on Friday, July 29, the television screen went blank. When the service had not returned by 4 o'clock, I called the customer contact centre to find out if there was a problem on the company's side, as I had not done anything to disrupt the reception. The immediate answer was no. I was directed to turn off the button on the cable box and do some other diagnostic tests. At this point, the agent checked with someone and told me there was a problem with the 'fibre', and that a crew would have to visit to fix it. I reminded her that this was a long weekend, and she assured me that the problem would solved within a 24-48 hour period.

An appointment was made for the crew to come at 8 o'clock on Saturday morning. They arrived after 9 o'clock, proceeded to disconnect the modem and check downstairs. One of them returned to share the bad news that they could not fix the problem and that another crew would need to come.

On my way out after 3 o'clock, I saw another crew at work downstairs, and they assured me they were working on the problem. Sometime later, I received a call asking me to check something on the TV. I explained that I was not at home. We agreed that he would call me back at 6:30 when I would be home. The call never came. At 8 o'clock, I attempted to call the customer contact centre and held on until the battery in my portable phone went dead.

On Sunday morning, after 7 o'clock, I received a call to schedule the time for the crew to come to complete the repairs. The agent suggested 1 o'clock, but I countered with 2 o'clock to give me enough time to return from church. At 2:18p.m. when they had not arrived, I called the customer contact centre, only to be told that the crew had come to the premises earlier, could not get in and had tried to call me.

I asked the agent why I would be answering the phone in church when an appointment had been set for 2 p.m. Clearly, the workman was working with his own schedule and not with the appointment which had been set. When I asked the agent what would happen next, she tried to reschedule someone for Sunday afternoon, but advised that would not be possible. She further advised that with Monday being a holiday, no one would be able to come before Tuesday. I asked if they didn't have an emergency crew, and the answer was no.


Starting from scratch


On Monday morning, I called the customer contact centre to find out when the crew would be coming to restore service. It was like starting from scratch with the agent who offered appointments between 8-12 or 12-4. Silly me! I thought I would be a priority since I have had no service since Friday afternoon.

I won't bore you with the other details, but it is obvious that Digicel is out of its depth with the provision of cable services and should have stuck to its core business of mobile service. Most people I have spoken to who had Telstar's service are very dissatisfied with Digicel Play.

I have not, and will not, make the payment for August due on the 1st until the service has been restored, and I have been given credit for the days on which I had no service. They have certainly not lived up to their service level agreement of restoring service with 24-48 hours. I certainly miss Telstar.

C.H. Robertson

Surbiton Road

Kingston 10