The Revenant does best in cold
NEW YORK (AP):
The snowy frontier saga The Revenant weathered a blizzard-
ravaged box office.
Weekend movie-going was affected up and down the East Coast by Winter Storm Jonas, which forced cinema closures in Washington, DC and New York, and caused hundreds of cinemas to suspend showings. Studio executives said the storm had a major effect on business.
Fittingly, the film that most flourished in the frigid winter weather was 20th Century Fox's Oscar-nominated Revenant, which took in an estimated US$16 million in its third week of wide release. The Alejandro Inarritu-directed thriller, set in the 1820s, is proving to be one of Leonardo DiCaprio's biggest hits, with US$119.2 million in North America thus far. It was also the top film internationally over the weekend, with US$33.8 million.
Disney's Star Wars: The Force Awakens came in second, with US$14.3 million in its sixth week of release. The Force Awakens, with US$1.94 billion globally to date, will likely cross US$2 billion in the next week.
Last week's number-one movie, the Kevin Hart/Ice Cube comedy Ride Along 2, dropped steeply in its second week, sliding to third with US$13 million for Universal.
Following are the estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at US and Canadian cinemas, according to Rentrak.
1. The Revenant, US$16m (US$33.8m international)
3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens, US$14.3m (US$23.3m international)
3. Ride Along 2, US$13m (US$6.5m international)
4. Dirty Grandpa, US$11.5m (US$2m international)
5. The Boy, US$11.3m (US$750,000 international)
6. The 5th Wave, US$10.7m (US$15.9m international)
7. 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, US$9.8m
8. Daddy's Home, US$5.3m (US$5.9 international)
9. Norm of the North, US$4.1m
10. The Big Short, US$3.5m (US$10.1m international)
Following are the estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at international cinemas (excluding the US and Canada), according to Rentrak:
1. The Revenant, US$33.8m
2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens, US$23.3m
3. The 5th Wave, US$15.9m
4. The Big Short, US$10.1m
5. Creed, US$9.1m
6. The Hateful Eight, US$7.5m
7. The Walk, US$6.7m
8. Ride Along 2, US$6.5m
9. Boonie Bears III, US$6m
10. Daddy's Home, US$5.9m