Superheroes meet The Boss
LOS ANGELES (AP):
Step aside, Batman and Superman. Melissa McCarthy is The Boss at the box office now.
The actress' latest comedy narrowly topped Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice at the weekend box office with a US$23.5 million debut, according to comScore estimates Sunday. The Boss stars McCarthy as an over-the-top business mogul attempting to rebound after being convicted of insider trading.
The Warner Bros. superhero smackdown starring Ben Affleck as the Dark Knight and Henry Cavill as the Man of Steel nabbed US$23.4 million in its third weekend. Despite poor reviews and word of mouth Batman v Superman has earned an estimated US$296.7 million to date.
Batman v Superman earned an additional US$34 million in 67 international markets, bringing its international total to US$486.8 million.
Disney's Zootopia landed in third place with US$14.4 million. In its sixth weekend, the animated film featuring the voices of Jason Bateman and Ginnifer Goodwin has earned a total domestic haul of US$296 million.
The weekend's only other newcomer, STX Entertainment's first-person action romp Hardcore Henry, opened in fifth place with a dismal US$5.1 million.
Following are the estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at US and Canadian cinemas, according to comScore. Where available, the latest international numbers for the period are also included.
1. The Boss, US$23.5m (US$1m international)
2. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, US$23.4m (US$34m international)
3. Zootopia, US$14.4m (US$ 22.7m international)
4. My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, US$6.4m (US$3.3m international)
5. Hardcore Henry, US$5.1m
6. Miracles From Heaven, $4.8m (US$1.1m international)
7. God's Not Dead 2, US$4.3m
8. The Divergent Series: Allegiant, US$3.6m
9. 10 Cloverfield Lane, US$3m (US$6.2m international)
10. Eye in the Sky, US$2.8m