Beastly weekend at the movies
LOS ANGELES (AP):
It was a battle of the beasts at the box office this weekend, and King Kong emerged as the definitive victor over Wolverine.
According to studio estimates on Sunday, Kong: Skull Island amassed US$61 million in its first weekend in cinemas, surpassing expectations and easily beating out Logan, which is now in its second weekend. Costing a reported US$185 million to produce, Kong: Skull Island still has work to be done, however, to reach profitability, and much of that will depend on international earnings.
Fox's Logan was down around 58 per cent from its first weekend and has earned US$152.7 million in total.
Following are the estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at US and Canadian cinemas, according to comScore.
1. Kong: Skull Island, US$61m (US$81.6m international)
2. Logan, US$37.9m (US$70m international)
3. Get Out, US$21.1m
4. The Shack, US$10.1m
5. The LEGO Batman Movie, US$7.8m (US$5.1m international)
6. Before I Fall, US$3.1m (US$265,000 international).
7. Hidden Figures, US$2.8m (US$5.1m international)
8. John Wick: Chapter 2, US$2.7m (US$2.5m international)
9. MET Opera: La Traviata, US$1.8m (US$1.8m international)
10. La La Land, US$1.8m (US$6.8m international)