'Pirates of the Caribbean' tops box office, 'Baywatch' sinks
It was smooth sailing to the top spot at the box office for Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, but the waters were choppier for the Dwayne Johnson comedy, Baywatch.
Studio estimates on Sunday say that the fifth installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise commandeered $62.2 million in its first three days in theatres.
The Johnny Depp-starrer is projected to take in $76.6 million over the four-day holiday weekend.
Here are estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at US and Canadian theatres, according to comScore:
1. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, $62.2 million ($208.4 million international).
2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, $19.9 million ($8.6 million international).
3. Baywatch, $18.1 million.
4. Alien: Covenant, $10.5 million ($10.8 million international).
5. Everything, Everything, $6.2 million.
6. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, $4.4 million ($2.4 million international).
7 Snatched, $3.9 million ($1.4 million international).
8. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, $3.2 million ($10 million international).
9. The Boss Baby, $1.7 million ($2.9 million international).
10. Beauty and the Beast, $1.6 million ($3.8 million international).