PAN 2018 kicks off in Portland
This Saturday, August 25, Folly Oval in Portland brings the heat with 35 pan chicken vendors from the parishes of St Thomas, Kingston and St Andrew, St Catherine, St Ann, St Mary, Portland and Trelawny. Each will showcase their culinary skills at Regional 1 of PAN 2018, with the hopes of advancing to the Grand Final.
"PAN returns to Portland for the third time, and it's symbolic, considering Portland is the home of jerk. We're happy to be back and have lots in store for our patrons. They can expect amazing food and entertainment for the entire family", explained Kemoi Burke, business development coordinator, CB Foods.
The PAN finalists will compete in a live 60-minute cook-off. A winner and runner-up (1st and 2nd place) will be chosen from each parish to advance to the grand finals. Each parish winner will receive $40,000 in cash, in addition to numerous prizes from several partners, including National Baking Company, Miracle Tomato Ketchup, Nupak Foil and Walkerswood, to name a few. The runner-up will also receive $20,000, among other prizes.
All competitors are vetted and selected through the Social Development Commission.
The participants in Regional 1 of PAN 2018 are:
- St Thomas: Tricia Nicholas, Cordolyn McLaughlin, Paula Drysdale, Anna Kay Lee and Delroy Graham.
- Kingston & St Andrew: Davy Beckford, Kimali Livermore, Engrel Gayle, Donna Marie Burton, Antonio Morrison.
- St Catherine: Elaine Luke, Chadwick McDonald, Jason Whyte, Chevaun Arlando Mendez, Victor Johnson.
- St Ann: Jerome Barrett, Jahmuki Barnes, Kerrian Coombs, Denzil Green, Andrew McNeil.
- St Mary: Kareen Johnson, Marilyn Blake, Kenroy James, Omar Walker, Ronique Brown.
- Portland: Keron Lewis, David Watson, Patricia Banton, Shernette Bernard, Samantha Daley.
- Trelawny: Richard Grant, Mario Bailey, Lovelett Moodie, Marshall Miller, Zweli Reid.
Patrons will be able to enjoy succulent and specially priced pan chicken at only $400 throughout the day and bar deals, courtesy of PAN partners Wisynco (through its WATA, Tru-Juice and Coca Cola brands) and Red Stripe.
Comedians Dufton 'Duffy' Shepherd and the Fluffy Diva, Miss Kitty, will guide the day's proceedings with on-stage activities and giveaways, courtesy of PAN partners.
As the evening winds down, live performances on stage from the likes of gospel artiste Kevin Downswell, Govana and Elephant Man will excite patrons.
The admission-free event starts at noon and runs until 8 p.m.