Meet the Miss Universe Jamaica contestants
Twenty-three beautiful young women will be vying for the 2016 title of Miss Universe Jamaica, to represent Jamaica on the international scene and have their lives changed forever. Today, we introduce you to some of the contestants with their vital statistics. We also asked them the following questions:
1. What are your hobbies?
2. What is the last school you attended and your scholastic awards
3. What are your five-year goals?
4. What is your life's ambition?
5. What is your motivation for entering the competition?
6. What is your most unusual experience.
7. Describe your proudest/happiest moment.
Miss Knutsford Express
Vital Statistics: 34-28-38
Occupation: Medical student
Favourite Colour: Pink
Favourite Food: Indian/chicken fettuccine
Favourite Sport: Volleyball
Favourite Singer: Michael Bolton
Favourite Actor: Mel Gibson
Favourite Film: Braveheart
1. Swimming, volleyball, netball, and tennis
2. Brown's Town Community College. Scholastic Awards/Achievements: Distinctions in CXC and CAPE Exams as well as an award for posture and deportment.
3. To become the first Jamaican Miss Universe and pursue my medical career as a paediatrician.
4. To be happy, pursuing with confidence and positivity all my endeavours. To live bold, free and impassioned. Have a career as well as a positive impact, a family full of love and to see as many of the marvels of the world that God has blessed us with.
5. To be part of something that directly impacts lives, and readiness of mind, body and spirit to participate in a competition of this magnitude.
6. Being alone in a room where the lights went off with cadavers before overcoming my fear early in medical school.
7. Getting into medical school.
Miss Lux Beauty Bar
Vital Statistics: 32-26-36.5
Occupation: Chemical engineer
Favourite Colour: Teal
Favourite Food: Curried goat
Favourite Sport: Track and field
Favourite Singer: Rihanna
Favourite Actor: Angelina Jolie
Favourite Film: The Fault in Our Stars
1. Reading, cooking, writing poems, formulating and making cosmetic products, and being a motorsport marshal.
2. The University of Technology. Scholastic Awards/Achievements: Third place in Jamaica for Social Studies in the 2006 CSEC Examinations, third place in Jamaica for Agricultural Science in 2006 CSEC Examinations, 2006 Munro and Dickenson Trust Scholarship Recipient, NCB Foundation Scholarship Recipient (2008-2012), Alpart Scholarship Recipient (2008-2011) and Bachelors of Science in Engineering
3. To attain a master's degree in environmental engineering, to start my consultancy business and to award at least one scholarship.
4. To create a world where girls can realise their goals in any area they aspire; as a result I hope to establish a scholarship fund to give back to women. To create employment by having my own environmental engineering consultancy firm while preserving our earth for future generations. I want to lead a life that is inspiring and fearless.
5. I have always admired how the pageant not only celebrates a woman's beauty but also how she uses it as a platform to effect change in the world. As an engineer in a male dominated field, I want to use this platform to inspire women and girls around the world to challenge stereotypes, chase their dreams, and to show that an intelligent, strong and fearless woman is amazingly beautiful.
6. Being stranded in the rain at an antique car museum in Cuba.
7. I formulated and produced a line of organic cosmetic products using indigenous Jamaican ingredients as the active components. Seeing the end result was exceptionally fulfilling and a proud moment.
Crystal Jade Hardy
Miss Amiri Beauty and Brows
Vital Statistics: 32-28-40
Occupation: Student/intern at National Commercial Bank
Favourite Colour: Purple
Favourite Food: Curried chicken with rice and peas
Favourite Sport: Football/track and field
Favourite Singer: Rihanna
Favourite Actor: Johnny Depp
Favourite Film: Love Story
1. Reading, travelling, listening to music, volunteering, and spending time with my family and friends.
2. Hampton School for Girls. Scholastic Awards/Achievements: 8 CXC Subjects, 3 CAPES, Treasurer of the Rotaract Club of the University of Technology
3. To complete my Bachelor of Science Degree then go on to do my master's in Child Psychology. I also hope to one day be a successful model.
4. To become a child psychologist/model.
5. Over the years, I have always wondered what it would be like to enter a pageant of this magnitude. I made the promise to myself that I would eventually enter. I believe now is the time. Yendi Phillipps' performance peaked my interest even more and I aspire to do just as well as she did and make Jamaica proud.
6. Being the subject of racism while at an airport in Tennessee. I was the only person of colour boarding the flight and I received countless stares. No one wanted to sit next to me even when all the other seats were taken. This was the most uncomfortable experience I ever had to endure.
7. My proudest moment was graduating from high school. The feeling of accomplishment was amazing. It was at that time my family came together to celebrate my achievements.