Safety tips for the season
'Tis the season to be happy and spread good cheer, but we also need to be mindful of our safety. Unfortunately, the season brings an increase in criminal activity and freak accidents. Let us try and bask in the joys of the season with celebrations that are incident free by being more vigilant around the home and on the streets.
Here are a few tips ...
1. If you get home when it's late, gather all you need before getting out of your vehicle (so you only make one trip), and survey your surroundings before exiting the vehicle.
2. Vary routes and times to and from your regular destinations.
3. Do not leave valuables in car.
4. Keep car doors locked while driving to avoid carjacking.
5. Limit the use of your cell phone while on the road - always be conscious of your surroundings.
6. Conceal cash before leaving an ATM.
7. If you feel you are being followed, go into a crowded place and draw attention to yourself.
8. Limit the amount of jewellery worn when going into crowded areas, as these can make you a target.
9. Use debit cards where applicable to avoid having to travel with large amount of cash.
10. Do not leave children alone in parked vehicles.
11. Keep scissors and other dangerous tools away from children when wrapping gifts.
12. Do not leave children alone in the kitchen.
13. Do not allow small children to plug in Christmas lights.
14. Encourage children not to talk to strangers.