Pre-Wedding Jitters, Red Flag or Not?
Cold feet, butterflies, anxiety, or pre-wedding jitters, whatever you call it, best believe it is real. Your wedding must be perfect, but the jitters can make your stomach crawl at the thought of getting married. Dr Sidney McGill, a relationship specialist, spoke with Flair about how you can deal with the uneasiness.
There is no single cause of the anxieties. However, "Doubts and fears from knowledge of marriages that have ended up in separation or divorce and experience in past relationships are some of the causes of the jitters," Dr McGill told Flair.
Maybe you fear that you are not good enough for your partner or you will not be a great husband or wife, and there is nothing wrong with that. According to Dr McGill, the jitters are completely normal and are not necessarily red flags to call off a wedding.
"It is only a red flag when it gets to the extreme, like when you cannot sleep. This is when you should get help," Dr McGill said.
There are several signs of wedding jitters, such as being constantly nervous, forgetful and irritable, feeling fearful, and even having insomnia. They may come anytime, even on your wedding day.
To overcome these challenges, Dr McGill has provided five tips for you.
1. Talking about your problems always helps. Your partner, a trusted friend, or a professional counsellor are some persons you should confide in at this time.
2. Eat properly and rest well. Sometimes a little rest is all that your body and mind need to relax and recuperate from the stress of planning a wedding.
3. Stick to your daily routine. Ladies, crash-dieting to squeeze into your dress two weeks before your wedding will not help. It will only cause added stress.
4. Accept your partner's faults. By now you should have already done so, but if you have not, it's now time. It makes no sense you expect a magical bliss after the wedding if you are not comfortable with your partner before you tie the knot.
5. Get a wedding planner. Delegating the responsibility to others to give you a splendid wedding usually helps. It means less trauma and anxiety.