The Diamond Mile Fashion Guide
The Diamond Mile brings glamour and grandeur to horse racing in Jamaica as the most prestigious race day on the island's horse racing calendar. Known for it's over-the-top outfits and eye-catching accessories, Jamaican designers Keneea Linton, House of Jade, Spokes Apparel, and couture clothing lines Flirt boutique and KerryManWomanHome, showcased a small collection at the launch last Tuesday, aimed at helping women and men decide what to wear and look fabulous on race day.
White Lotus paired handcrafted hats and fascinators for each outfit which aspired to be Caribbean chic, elegant and the perfect highlight for any attire. Designer Kamala McWhinney prides herself with creating these quality accessories that are unique and bold statement pieces, which will make the simplest outfit extraordinary.
Apparel for the Diamond Mile race day should be light and breezy for the Caymanas weather to avoid being hot and sticky for the entire day. Prints should be vibrant and colourful, after all, we do live in the tropics. Skirts can be A-line, pencil, or flared to match with your body type and style. Avoid ankle-length gowns because there will be a lot of mud at the track. Men can opt to stay classy with solid-colour suits or mix-and-match patterns and colours for a more trendy look.
The top five things you would need for race day include:
1. Sunglasses. If you have never been to Caymanas, brace yourself for the heat and endless sunshine with very little shade.
2. SPF. You can choose to put on sunscreen or SPF makeup to protect your skin from harmful sun rays. Waterproof makeup is also a good decision to prevent runny mascara or cakiness after spending the day on the humid track.
3. Stylish fan. This is essential to cooling down while watching the races and enjoying the festivities.
4. Hat/ fascinator: This will provide shade where ever you go and will make your outfit look stunning.
5. Hydrating face mist. This is must that you should carry on race day to keep you photo ready. A hydrating mist will keep your skin looking cool, hydrated and bright for the entire day.
Diamond Mile Raceday on December 1st is a very fashionable event. Be sure to come decked in your finest.