10 tips to weight loss
Jody-Anne Lawrence, Staff Reporter
Many persons are looking for a way to lose some weight. They will try the gym, crazy diets, running, walking, home exercise regimes - you name it. But as quickly as they jump on these bandwagons, they fall off.
All it really takes for weight loss and proper weight management is making healthy lifestyle choices. Food solicited the expertise of Kirk Bolton, president of Jamaica Association of Professionals in Nutrition and Dietetics, for some advice.
Here are his 10 easy tips to weight loss:
1. Drink a full glass of water 20 minutes before you eat your meal, which will help you to eat less.
2. Pick a smaller plate to eat from, which will assist in portion control.
3. Do at least 30 minutes of your favourite exercise each day, which will help you to burn a number of calories.
4. Choose a variety of coloured foods - meaning, vegetables and fruits. This usually provides antioxidants that break down food and are usually high in fibre.
5. Do not eat in front of the television. This habit leads to overeating, since you may be paying more attention to what is on the TV screen rather than the plate.
6. Taste and slowly chew your foods; do not rush your meal. Allow your food to properly digest.
7. Limit intake of sweetened beverages (consumption of more than one soda - 250ml - per day is associated with increased waist circumference and overweight in adolescents, according to surveys.
8. Get adequate rest and sleep. A minimum of eight hours per night.
9. Avoid skipping breakfast. You need to eat three meals a day and skipping meals causes your body to go in survival mode when you do eat. Thus, it will hold on to the fat instead of digesting it.
10. Reduce salt and sodium intake. - You can also consult a nutritionist for a proper diet plan and a fitness expert for a proper exercise regime.