Biting into the festivities
Jody-Anne Lawrence, Lifestyle Reporter
What is the holiday without an authentic Jamaican fruit cake? As such, we solicited the expertise of Suejen Edwards-Haynes of Forever Sweet for a delicious recipe and tips to ensure you get the perfect cake every time.
Authentic Jamaican cake
2 lbs Raisins
1⁄2 lbs Prunes
⁄2 lb Dates / Currants
1 lb Mixed Fruits
4 cups of Red Wine
7 tablespoons of White Rum
⁄2 lb Cherry - diced
1 lb Butter - room temperature
⁄2 lb Sugar
1tsp Almond essence
1tsp Rose Water
1 lb Flour
3tsp Baking Powder
2tbsp Mixed Spice
2tbsp of Cinnamon
3tbsp of Browning (optional)
1. Soak the red wine, raisins, mixed peel and diced prunes for as long as possible. Overnight, or at least three hours, is fine.
2. Sift the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. Cream butter and eggs together until smooth-textured.
4. Preheat oven at 250.
5. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients.
6. Combine well by using a wooden spoon or cake mixer. Be sure it is smooth-textured
7. Use three eight-inch baking pans. Cut to size two grease-proof paper. Use the butter and lightly base the inside of the baking pans. Lay together the two grease papers on the inside of the baking pans.
8. Pour the cake batter half way the baking pans.
9. For a small baking pan seven to eight inches, the baking time is three hours and 30 minutes.
For a large baking pan, 9 to 10 inches, the baking time is four hours and 30 minutes.
10. Allow the cake to cool.
11. Spray cake with two to four capfuls of Jamaican white rum, Brandy, Appleton Jamaica Rum or Bacardi Rum, or any other kind of rum you like.
Jamaican Christmas cake tips!
- Be sure the fruits are diced or blended together before soaking.
- Sift the flour and baking powder in order to prevent lumps.
- Sift dry ingredients before starting on the egg mixture. The less time the eggs sit waiting to be used, the less raw your cake will smell.
- Be sure to break the eggs, one at a time, into a separate container, before it is added to the batter. (This is to ensure if an egg is spoilt it would not be added to the batter as well as egg shell can be removed.)
- Use browning to add the rich dark brown signature colour.
- Lift and drop the baking pan on a hard surface like a table to release the air bubbles.
- Preheat oven 8 minutes before starting to bake cake.
- Do not open the oven until five to eight minutes before completion.
- The longer the cake sits, is the richer it is! Let it sit for a couple of days and each day spray the cake(s) with one or two capfuls of rum.
- Spray or brush cakes with rum instead of sprinkling. Spraying or brushing allows for better distribution of the rum.
Take into consideration your friends or relatives that do not consume alcohol. Virgin cakes (non-alcoholic) are just as delicious, simply omit the wine and rum!
Remember, fruit cake is a delectable dessert, so do not be afraid to add your favorite fruit toppings. Have your cake with maybe some fresh strawberries and whipped cream.
Enjoy a moist and delicious slice of fruit cake with a cool glass of sorrel.
Best wishes and happy holidays from the Forever Sweet team!
Suejen Edwards-Haynes and Preston Haynes (Proprietors)
Telephone or WhatsApp: (876) 3530707
Twitter and Instagram: @ForeverSweetJA