'Harambe for the Holidays'
This Christmas, we can join Rita Marley in the kitchen with some of her favourite Marley recipes. From soulful meals to simple snacks such as home-made cocoa or gingerbread truffles, Marley's cookbook Harambe for the Holidays: Vibrant Holiday Cooking with Rita Marley has dishes that are perfect for any celebration.
Marley's book, which was launched recently, is filled with Marley family favourite recipes. Some of the recipes in Harambe for the Holidays use the herb for the healing of the nation. There's a step-by-step guide for creating 'Green Oil' that you can use in the specially marked recipes in this book such as healing herb hot cocoa and Apple Crisp. From sorrel drinks to coconut cut cake to a full Ethiopian holiday feast, Harambe for the Holidays is filled with inspiration to create delightful and healthy meals and treats for all of your holiday parties and gatherings. Liven up your holiday gatherings with these soulful meals. Ten per cent of proceeds form the sale of the book goes to support Rita Marley Foundation projects in Ghana, Jamaica, and across the world.
The book is available on Amazon.com.
Here are some of the recipes from Harambe for the Holidays.
Coconut Cut Cake
1 cup freshly chopped or grated coconut
2 inches fresh ginger
7tsp cane sugar
(1) Boil two cups water and cane sugar.
(2) After blended, add coconut and cook for two hours until mixture is tight.
(3) Spoon desired-size drops into a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
(4) Cool to harden.
(5) Sprinkle with Ziggy Marley Hemp Rules hemp seeds (toasted or untoasted).
Callaloo Dip - a nice-time recipe
2 cups shredded skim mozzarella
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp pepper
16 oz low fat cream cheese
21/2 cups cooked seasoned callaloo (amaranth)
Finely minced Scotch bonnet pepper to taste
1tsp fresh thyme leaves
(1) Preheat oven to 350°. Combine 11/2 cups mozzarella cheese, sour cream, 2 tbs parmesan cheese and the remaining ingredients.
(2) Spread in a baking dish, sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly. Serve hot with favourite chips.