Lent Recipe-Calaloo Lasagna
We are still in the Lenten season, and during these 40 days, some of us like to make certain dietary changes. A popular one is the elimination of meat, whether it's only red meat or a meatless day each week. Our friends at Kingdom's Kitchen decided to hook us up with a very delicious meatless dish this week. Enjoy! Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org how it turned out.
1 pack shredded callaloo
1tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 onions (diced)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
10 lasagna sheets
2-3tbs Parmesan cheese (grated)
salt and pepper
For the cheese sauce:
1/2 block English cheddar
1. Place callaloo in a saucepan of water, olive oil, salt and pepper on low heat until leaves become wilted. Drain in colander ensuring that all excess liquid is drained off.
2. Place lasagna sheets in boiling salt water, with a teaspoon of olive oil for eight minutes.
3. When this is finished, pour off water and drain fully. Do not exceed eight minutes of boiling as sheets will become soggy.
4. Assemble lasagna by placing the layers along the bottom of your baking dish. Then place a layer of callaloo and then a layer of cheese sauce. Repeat this layering until the final level is a sheet of lasagna and a coating of sauce.
5. Sprinkle grated Parmesan over the top of the sauce and bake in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes, covered, at 3758F.
6. After 30 minutes, remove cover, repeat sprinkle of Parmesan, and then bake uncovered for 10 minutes.