Muah! Chefs whip it up moms
Mother's Day is a celebration of all the women who nurture us and influenced our lives in so many ways. A great way to show your appreciation is to whip up a delicious gourmet meal, and The Best Dressed Chicken assembled three of Jamaica's foremost chefs to craft Mother's Day-inspired recipes for you to say, "I love you, Mom!"
Chef Oji Jaja
Growing up, I can remember preparing creative dishes with my mom and she has always encouraged me to do what I love. Our relationship has evolved since I entered culinary school, and when I decided to start my catering enterprise, she opened her home and network for my development. She has been my biggest and most faithful supporter and I am truly grateful.
Oven--Roasted Herb Marinated Best Dressed Chicken Breast
4 The Best Dressed chicken breasts
1tbs fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
4tbs white rum
1tsp fresh thyme, chopped
1tsp garlic, chopped
1tsp ginger, chopped
3oz extra virgin coconut oil
1tsp Scotch bonnet pepper, chopped
1tsp lime juice
Sea salt to taste
(1) Preheat oven to 4008F. Soak chicken breast in white rum for one hour and season with salt.
(2) In a bowl, combine rosemary, thyme, garlic, ginger and 1/2 of the extra virgin coconut oil.
(3) Using a teaspoon, drizzle 1/2 of the herb mixture over the chicken, rub in and let it marinate for 30 minutes.
(4) Heat remaining oil in a skillet until slightly smoking. Place chicken in pan smooth side down and sear until golden brown. Turn chicken and immediately place in oven for seven minutes.
(5) Remove from oven and drizzle remaining herb mixture over finished chicken.
Serve immediately with your choice of sides.
Chef Theo Smith
Interestingly, my mom hates cooking, but she ensured that I was able to prepare her favourite meal - pot roast with potato salad. Over the years, as my interest in the food industry grew, she supported my career by sending me to culinary school and in the start-up of my catering business. She is my chauffeur for all my catering executions and helps to promote my business.
Mango Glazed Best Dressed Chicken and Mushrooms
1lb The Best Dressed Chicken Deboned
Breast, cut into strips
4oz snow peas
3oz carrots, sliced
1 sweet pepper, julienne
4oz mushrooms, sliced
4oz mango juice
1 whole onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2oz scallion, chopped
2oz fresh basil, chopped
3oz vegetable oil
Brown sugar, as needed
Salt and black pepper, as needed
Scotch bonnet pepper sauce, as needed
(1) Season chicken with minced onion, garlic, salt and black pepper, as well as one ounce of oil, then allow to marinate while you prepare the other ingredients.
(2) Place skillet on medium heat and drizzle with remaining oil. Once the skillet is hot, add the seasoned chicken strips and saute for a minute or two, add the carrots, snow peas and sweet pepper.
(3) When the chicken strips are almost cooked, add the sliced mushrooms, basil and scallion, saute then add mango juice, brown sugar and pepper sauce.
(4) Allow to simmer until the mango juice has reduced and the chicken strips are fully cooked, and add additional salt and black pepper as needed.
Chef Brian Lumley
My mother was my first culinary instructor and I acquired a range of skills while cooking with her, specifically the ability to taste and manipulate flavours. She saw my interest in the industry and fostered my growth by sending me to culinary school and giving me advice along the way. We both are business people, and we help each other to navigate this dynamic culinary landscape.
The Best Dressed Chicken Supreme with Parmesan Cream Sauce
2 The Best Dressed Chicken individually frozen leg quarters
1 cup olive oil
4 stalks, scallion, finely sliced
2 medium onions, chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups dry white wine
3 cups chicken stock
3tbs unsalted butter
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
3tbs fresh tarragon, chopped
3tbs fresh thyme, chopped
2 cups heavy cream
1 sprig rosemary
1 cup Parmesan cheese
Fresh lemon juice
Black pepper, to taste
Sea salt, to taste
(1) In a small bowl, combine one tablespoon of each of the chopped herbs, one cup of wine, three tablespoons of scallion, three tablespoons of garlic and two tablespoons of oil.
(2) Pour over the chicken and marinate for two hours or overnight. Preheat oven to 3758F.
(3) In a large skillet, heat oil and sear chicken for three minutes on both sides or until golden brown.
(4) Turn off heat and remove chicken to a metal sheet. Place in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until thoroughly cooked.
(5) Add onions and garlic, and remaining herbs to skillet and stir for one minute.
(6) Meanwhile, in another sauce pot, heat the heavy cream with one sprig of rosemary. Add remaining wine to skillet and scrape bottom of pan to remove all the cooked bits. Add chicken stock and reduce by 1/3.
(7) Strain into the heavy cream, add cheese and simmer until melted. Remove the chicken from the oven and drizzle with lemon juice.
Pour the cream sauce over chicken and serve hot.