This Labour Day weekend, beer will take centre stage at the second annual Beer Festival at Barbican Beach.
We are all familiar with Jamaican beers, but in addition, Red Stripe and its parent company, Diageo, will be bringing their entire portfolio of beers to Jamaica. Expect beers from Nigeria, Ireland, Australia, Canada, Africa, Germany and Uganda, just to name a few.
But you can't drink on an empty stomach, so 689's Brian Lumley will be on hand to whip up some delicious dishes with the main ingredient being - you guessed it - beer.
Can't make it? Have no fear. We have procured some of the scrumptious recipes using our own Jamaican beers that are easy to find. Enjoy!
Yield: 4-6 servings
For the brine:
41/2 lb package of chicken wings
Just under a gallon of water
6tbps kosher salt
6tbps granulated sugar
For the rub:
1/4 cup of paprika
1tbps garlic powder
1/2 tsp of kosher salt
1/4 to 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning, or to taste, optional
For the glaze:
1/2 bottle of Smirnoff Ice (roughly a cup)
1/2 cup of brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup of ketchup
1tbps of BBQ sauce
2tbps of pepper jelly or other jam/jelly
1tsp of spicy mustard
1. For the brine, whisk together the salt and sugar with the water until dissolved. Place chicken into a zipper bag and pour the brine over, seal, set in a container and refrigerate for two hours. Drain, rinse well and pat dry.
2. Mix together the rub ingredients and rub all over the chicken. Loosely cover and let sit in refrigerator until needed, or at least for an hour.
3. For the glaze, combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced and thickened. Hold over very low heat until needed.
Can also be baked at 350?F for 40-45 minutes or until done, turning often. Adjust time as needed for different cuts of chicken.
Jerk Rotisserie Heineken Beer Alfredo with penne pasta
11/2 Rotisserie chicken (pull the cooked meat from the bones)
1 pack penne pasta
1 sml onion (minced)
3tbsp olive oil
4 large garlic cloves (minced)
1/4 cup Heineken Beer
3/4 cup chicken broth
2tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup mixed vegetable
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, sautÈ onions in the olive oil until tender (do not brown).
2. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute longer. Add the mixed vegetables then the Reggae Jammin Pulled Rotisserie Chicken, and sautÈ for an additional three minutes. Deglaze with the Heineken beer and allow liquid to reduce.
3. Stir in the broth, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and cook for about eight minutes or until the liquid has reduced by half.
4. Stir in both the heavy cream and coconut milk and bring to a gentle simmer.
5. Cook uncovered and continuously stirring for approx 8-10 minutes longer or until sauce is reduced to about 11/4 cups. Check for seasoning and adjust to your taste then toss pasta with the sauce and garnish with remaining cheese and herbs.