Get in the spirit of the season: Smart Eggs Egg Nog
2 cups milk
1tbs vanilla extract
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise (optional)
1tsp freshly grated nutmeg
4 smart egg yolks
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup dark rum
2 sachets of powdered gelatin
11/2 cups heavy cream
1. Place a bowl in the freezer to chill.
2. In a medium saucepan, add milk, vanilla, cinnamon, star anise, nutmeg and clove. Place over medium heat and simmer, removing just before boiling point.
3. Let infuse for at least an hour.
4. In a mixer, beat Smart Egg yolks, sugar and rum until pale and thickened.
5. Add Smart Egg mixture to infused milk and place over low heat, keep stirring for about 4 minutes.
6. When warm, add powdered gelatin and stir until dissolved for another few minutes. Mixture should be a thick, custard-like consistency. Remove from heat and let cool.
7. In a bowl, whisk cream until soft peaks form.
8. Remove chilled bowl from freezer and strain cooled custard mixture into the bowl. Fold in the cream in stages until fully incorporated.
9. Divide mixture into 6 glasses and chill until set, about 5 hours.