Eat or drink? - have it your way for SOUP MONTH
Do you eat or drink soup? This question is being debated in January as Maggi celebrates Soup Month. Keisha Strachan, a lecturer at a Teachers' College, states, "I eat soup because soup has food in it. Things that don't have any chewable stuff you would drink." Keisha's daughter, nine-year-old Kiana, refuses to take a particular side in the debate. "I eat because it has dumpling and chicken foot, and I drink because it has the liquid in it," she states.
Whether you prefer to eat or drink soup, there are many benefits to be gained by including soup as part of the diet a few days a week.
- Nutritious soups are a great way to incorporate natural, healthy foods into your diet.
- Filling because soup contains so much water, it fills you up with fewer calories.
- Easy to prepare all you need is a large pan, some ingredients and some seasonings. Use whatever you have in the pantry to make a nourishing soup.
- Economical a meal of soup costs less than a cooked meal like chicken and rice.
- Low fat and calorie count.
Maggi offers these recipes that are nutritious, easy to prepare and economical. Make a pot of soup for an evening meal this week.
Maggi Pepperpot Soup
(Serves 4. Preparation time: 45 minutes)
6 cups water
1/2 cup Maggi Coconut Milk Powder
1 large potato, diced
1 hot pepper, deseeded, chopped
3 cups callaloo
1 medium onion, sliced
1/2 cup scallions chopped
6-8 pimento berries
2 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
1/2 carrot, sliced
1 sprig, thyme
1/2 cup cho-cho, sliced
2 Maggi Vegetable Seasoning Cubes
1 package Maggi Soup It Up Vegetable
1 whole green hot pepper
1. Put the water and coconut milk powder in a saucepan, stir and bring to a rapid boil.
2. Add the callaloo, pimento, carrot, cho-cho, whole green hot pepper, and potato.
3. Cook until tender. Stir and simmer for another 15 minutes
4. Add the diced hot pepper, onion, scallions, garlic, thyme, seasoning cubes and soup mix.
5. Stir and simmer another 20 minutes.
Maggi Yellow Split Pea Soup
1 lb salted meat (optional)
6 cups water
2/3 cup yellow split peas
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 stalk scallion, chopped
1 lb mixed provisions (yam, cassava, dasheen)
1 lb chicken, cut up
2 ears of corn, cut up
1/2 lb pumpkin, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 whole Scotch bonnet pepper
1 package Maggi Chicken Noodle Soup
1. Put salted meat to boil for 20 minutes then discard water.
2. Pressure-cook split peas in 6 cups of water with onions, garlic, scallion for 10 minutes, until soft.
3. Add provision, chicken, corn, vegetables and salted meat. Cook for 15 minutes until meat is cooked and vegetables are tender.
4. Add Maggi Chicken Noodle Soup and dumplings.
Cook until dumplings are tender.
5. Remove hot pepper before service.