Sprint With Olympic Cocktails
We have all been enjoying the Rio Olympics, and as the track and field events gets under way tomorrow, it would be great to create a sports bar experience as you get together with your friends to watch our athletes on the track. Chef Noel Cunningham shared a few cocktails to help to get you in the Olympic spirit.
Tropical Coconut Mojito
1/2 lime cut into wedges
4 tsp super fine sugar
2 oz Malibu coconut rum
2 oz coconut milk
10 mint leaves
1 cup chilled club soda
1. Place the lime wedges, mint leaves and sugar into a tall glass and muddle until sugar has dissolved.
2. Add rum and coconut milk.
3. Fill glass with ice.
4. Top off glass with chilled club soda and stir.
5. Garnish with lime wedge and a sprig of mint.
A simple blend of strawberries and fresh herbs provide the base for this refreshing virgin cocktail. While our athletes are smashing up the tracks, here is your chance to smash a quick cocktail for the game. This recipe is for one serving.
6 strawberries, hulled and sliced
6 mint, basil, verbena or cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
5 ice cubes
1 1/2 oz natural sour mix
3 oz seltzer water
1. Place strawberries and your selected herb in a rocks glass. Smash the strawberries gently with a muddler until the berries are a pulp and the herbs are fragrant.
2. Add sour mix to the glass and give it a stir. Fill the glass three-quarters with ice. Top off with seltzer water.
3. Garnish with a sprig of your selected herb.
4x100 Island Paradise
Not one, or two but four different layers of drinks in one glass for you to enjoy the tropical flavours of this simple Island paradise drink. It might sound hard to make but you will be surprised, how simple it is.
1/2 oz grenadine
3 oz pineapple juice
1 oz Malibu coconut rum
1/4 oz blue Curacao
1 oz water
2 oz vodka
1. Pour grenadine at the base of the glass then fill with ice.
2. In a separate container mix together pineapple juice and Malibu rum and stir until
combined then pour into glass with grenadine.
3. In another container mix blue Curacao with water stir to combine and add to glass with pineapple juice and grenadine.
4. Garnish with lemon or pineapple wedge and enjoy.
Enjoy the burst of flavours in this drink from the combination of the liqueur and rum along with the sweetness of pineapple and orange juices. On your mark, get set, mix.
1 oz Wray and Nephew white rum
2 oz pineapple juice
3 oz orange juice
Lime juice, from 1 lime
2 oz grenadine
1 oz Disaronno Liqueur (or any liqueur)
Lime or pineapple wedge for garnish
1. In a shaker with ice, add Wray and Nephew rum, pineapple juice, orange juice, and lime juice and shake until blended then pour into a tall glass.
2. Slowly add grenadine to tall glass -it will sit nicely at the base of the drink and finally add Disaronno liqueur to give some extra flavour and colour.
Get in the mood with this simple mix of Red Bull and ginger ale with a splash of rum garnished nicely with some fresh lemon zest.
1 oz rum
2 oz ginger ale
3 oz Red Bull
Grated lime/ lemon zest
In a glass with ice, pour rum, ginger ale, and Red Bull then top with lime or lemon zest and serve.
This non alcohol mango-kiwi cocktail is the ideal drink for those who don't consume alcohol. I use frozen mango concentrate, but you can use fresh blended mango juice.
3 oz mango concentrate
4 oz water
2 oz grenadine
2 oz kiwi juice
1 lemon wedge for garnish
Mix together mango concentrate with water to desired sweetness, then pour over ice slowly. Top with Kiwi juice then finally add grenadine. It will sit right in the middle and give those beautiful layers. Garnish with a slice of lime or kiwi and enjoy.
Chef Noel Cunningham
Instagram and twitter: