A tribute to Chicken
Perhaps there is no other food that crosses the cultures like chicken. The taste, texture and its ability to be cooked in many ways make chicken the king of the food world.
In 2004, a team of international geneticists found that the chicken was the first domesticated animal. Once domesticated, cultural contacts, trade, migration and territorial conquest led to chicken making its way around the world as the meat of choice.
Fast-forward to October 2016 and the McCook's Pen corporate offices of The Best Dressed Chicken, where Chef Brian Lumley, now based in the Middle East (Qatar, in fact) is serving a tribute to chicken that embraces the influences of both his new base in Qatar and his Jamaican roots.
His callaloo rice stuffed Best Dressed Chicken deboned thighs with a cilantro onion salad, green hummus and beetroot creamy potatoes, will make your celebration of World Chicken Day a delicious treat.
4 Best Dressed chicken deboned thighs
2 oz scallion
1/4 Scotch bonnet pepper
1 spring thyme
1 tsp grounded pimento
6 pegs garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp all-purpose seasoning
2 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tub 200 ml hummus
Leaves from a bundle of callaloo
1/2 cup rice
2 pegs garlic
1/4 of scotch bonnet pepper
2 tsp butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 egg (use to make egg wash to seal chicken)
1 cup chicken stock
3 plummy tomatoes
Pepper to taste
3 tsp cornstarch
creamed Irish potatoes
1 lb Irish potatoes
1 tbs butter
1 lb purple Irish potatoes
Salt to taste
1 bundle cilantro
2 large pomegranate
1 purple onion
1 pinch salt
1. Wipe The Best Dressed Chicken leg and thigh (deboned) with vinegar, leaving the skin on. Wrap chicken in cling wrap and beat. Put aside in refrigerator. Blend the seasoning in a blender, then leave the seasoned deboned chicken for a few hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Wash callaloo in salted water and cut up. Put on a pot with water and salt, bring to boil and blanch callaloo.
3. Cook rice and cool down.
4. Cook callaloo with seasoning, then add heavy cream and stir in for 5 minutes.
5. Combine cooked rice with cooked callaloo and place this mixture in refrigerator to be cool until firm.
6. Take chicken from fridge and lay skin side down, place 1 1/2 oz of rice and callaloo mixture in the centre of the chicken, apply egg wash to the edge of chicken, fold chicken, pulling back until it feels firm under hand, then wrap until a cylinder shape is formed, wrap into aluminium foil and twist in opposite direction.
7. Bake for 45 minutes on 350deg. When done, cool and remove chicken from foil, then sear until all sides are golden brown.
8. Make a sauce from chicken stock, reserve blended seasoning along with tomatoes until sauce thickens.
9. Cook and cream Irish potatoes with milk and butter. Place both mixtures in a piping bag to create a marbled effect.
10 Combine cilantro, pomegranate seeds and purple onion tossed with olive oil, pinch of salt and serve.
11. Slice chicken; serve with sauce, cream Irish potatoes, cilantro salad and hummus.