A street-style Christmas
Merlene Fray, known as Miss Chiney in her Waterhouse community, is one of six Maggi Street Style Ambassadors.
For this week's Food, Miss Chiney prepared a spread to showcase some of the dishes that she would prepare for the upcoming Christmas season.
She is known in her community for creating delicious soups, including her famous red peas soup on Friday evenings, as well as an array of street-style cuisine, such as jerked barbecue chicken back, cowfoot, fried chicken and stew pork.
Today, we take a peek inside her cookshop to see what's on the menu for the festive season.
Miss Chiney prepared: peppered steak, battered fish in coconut sauce, gungo and rice, fried ripe plantains, and a garden salad. With the help of Maggi, here are some of her recipes to help flavour up your palate this Christmas.
Gungo Rice Peas
11/2 lb green gungo peas
4 lb white rice
1 pack Maggi Coconut Milk Powder
1/2 pack Maggi Liquid Coconut Milk
3 green Scotch bonnet peppers
Salt to taste
1. Boil the peas in water for about 25 minutes until soft, then add seasoning, Maggi liquid and powdered Coconut Milk and salt to taste.
2. Let cook for five minutes then wash rice (four times) and add to pot and cover.
3. Simmer for approximately 25-30 min until cooked.
Battered Fish in
2 lb sliced fish
1/2 lb all purpose flour
11/2 pack of Maggi Liquid Coconut Milk
Maggi All Purpose Seasoning
Maggi Jerk Seasoning
Maggi Fish Seasoning
Scotch bonnet pepper
Maggi Onion and Garlic Cube
Maggi Vegetable Cube
Season Fish with Maggi Fish, Jerk and All Purpose Seasoning. Add scallion, thyme, Scotch bonnet pepper, onion marinate for 15 minutes.
Batter for fish:
1. All purpose flour mixed with Maggi all purpose seasoning you can also use egg powder to give the batter additional colour.
1. Heat your frying pan and add vegetable oil. Dip fish on both sides in batter and fry until golden brown.
2. Remove fish from pan and place on paper towel.
Coconut Milk Sauce
1. Reheat frying pan and add one stick of butter.
2. Melt butter and add seasoning, scallion, thyme, tomatoes, sweet pepper, onions, and carrots.
3. Stir vegetables in melted butter, saute and cover pan for five minutes.
4. Add Maggi liquid coconut milk simmer for 3 minutes.
5. Add one Maggi onion and garlic cube and Maggi vegetable cube to pot.
6. Place fish in frying pan and cover. Cook down for five minutes and serve.
Method and Ingredients
11/2 lb boneless steak
Cut up in small thin slices
Wash the steak with vinegar and water
Season the steak with:
- Maggi All Purpose Seasoning
- Maggi Jerk Seasoning
Scallion, thyme, Scotch bonnet pepper, pinch of salt.
1. Place pressure cooker on the stove with a little vegetable oil.
2. When hot add the steak and saute for approximately 1 minute.
3. Cover the pressure cooker for 2 minutes
4. Add 1/2 cup of water, stir and cover for five minutes. Stir again and add an additional 11/2 cups of water. Stir and cover for five minutes, stir again and add an additional 11/2 cups of water.
5. Cover the pressure cooker and seal leave until the pressure cooker starts to whistle, then let it cook for three additional minutes.
6. Turn off the flame and remove the top of pressure cooker.
7. Reseason the steak by adding scallion, thyme, onion, carrot, chocho and two Maggi onion and garlic cubes and two Maggi vegetable cubes.
8. Leave to simmer for five minutes add 2-3 sweet peppers cut in rings and lay on top of the steak
9. Cover pot and leave to simmer for 2 minutes.
10. Plate and serve.