Red & Yellow are here
Did you know that July is actually Chocolate Month? Well it is and World Brands in the love with random acts of kindness and What's for Dessert executions at the Gleaner Company offices yesterday.
Our favourite M & M's red and yellow came along with the team to share their chocolate goodness. They danced their way through the aisles and into our hearts. They also brought with them sweet treats, and Chocolate Dreams showed us a different way to enjoy these treats by creating a M & M Chocolate Cake and M & M truffles to show the versatility of these sweet treats.
The cake tasted as though you were biting into a chocolate bar and with the M&M topping you will just drift away to chocolate heaven. You can bring out the baker in you by trying these decadent recipes on your own.
M & M's Chocolate Cake
M & M's Chocolate
8.5 oz / 240 g dark chocolate, preferably 70 per cent cocoa, broken into pieces
1 3/4 cup / 385 g caster sugar / superfine sugar
9 oz / 250 g / 2 sticks unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups / 312 ml milk (low or full fat)
1/4 cup / 63 ml oil (vegetable, canola)
1/2 cup / 45g cacao powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 3/4 cups / 265 g plain flour
2 tbsp coffee granules, optional
1 cup / 250 ml heavy whipping cream
8oz /250 g dark melting semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 160C/320F
2. Butter or spray a 9 10" spring form cake tin and line with parchment/baking paper.
3. Combine sugar, butter, half the milk and chocolate in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir until the butter and chocolate have melted and sugar is dissolved. Do NOT let it simmer or boil!
4. Pour the chocolate mixture into a bowl. Whisk in oil and remaining milk.
5. Whisk in eggs until combined.
6. Sift cacao, baking powder, flour and coffee directly into the bowl. Whisk until smooth some small lumps are ok.
7. Pour for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. The surface will crack (sometimes badly!) but will subside when it cools and gets covered with frosting so don't stress!
8. Remove sides from the cake pan and transfer to a cooling rack to cool.
1. Place chocolate in a bowl.
2. Place cream in a saucepan over medium-high heat. When starts to simmer remove from flame. Do not let it come to a boil. Pour cream over the chocolate, completely submerging the chocolate. Cover bowl with a plate and set aside for 5 minutes.
3. Stir with a spoon until smooth. Refrigerate for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until thickened to a spread able consistency like peanut butter.
4. Spread over the cake tops and sides. Use a teaspoon in a swirling motion to achieve the textured surface you see in the photos.
Add M & M's for decorative toppings
M & M's Truffles
M & M's Chocolate
16 oz dark or semisweet chocolate or a combination finely chopped
2/3 cups heavy cream
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp coarse salt
Unsweetened cacao powder, for rolling
1. Place chocolate in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan, heat cream until it begins to simmer, then pour over chocolate. Cover bowl with cellophane wrap and let stand for 10 minutes. Uncover and whisk chocolate mixture until smooth. Mix in vanilla and salt. Pour into a 9-inch pie plate and let cool 15 minutes. Cover with plastic and refrigerate until completely set -about 3 hours.
2. With a melon baller, a 1-inch scoop, or a teaspoon, scoop out chocolate mixture and place on parchment paper. Coat hands with cacao and roll truffles into balls. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until set, about 15 minutes. (To store, cover with plastic and refrigerate, up to 2 weeks.)
Add M & M's to as finishing touch
For the rest of the month wear red on Wednesday and perform a random act of Kindness using the hashtag #randomactofkindness and share your desserts on Thursday while wearing yellow using the hashtag #whatsfordessert.