Gourmet sardines with chef Adom Burke
The days seem longer and we seem to be getting hungry more often. For those who are used to grabbing something on the way to the office or ordering in, things might have changed drastically. But with the changes, maintaining a healthy diet is still extremely important.
After stocking up with the favourites at the supermarket, you realise one can only eat curried chicken or pasta a few times before you are completely over it. Food has partnered with Adom Burke, a professional chef who will be taking your regular foods and turning them into gourmet meals. He will take you through each step, so this can be a fun activity for you and your quarantine partner.
What you need:
. 1 tin of sardines
. small baguette
. Scotch bonnet pepper
. dried basil leaves
. cooking oil
Spicy tartar sauce:
. 5 servings
. 3 tbsp mayonnaise
. 2 tbsp vinegar
. 2 tbsp chopped scallions
. 2 tsp chopped Scotch bonnet pepper
. 1 pinch of black pepper and salt to taste
. 2 mini baguettes
. 2 tbsp butter
. 1 tsp garlic puree
. pinch of salt
. black pepper
. dry basil leaves
. pinch of salt and pepper
. Sautéed onion with shredded scallion.
1. Cut baguettes in half, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and butter to small saucepan,
melt butter and add garlic puree and cook over medium low heat for approximately 1 minute.
2. Add salt, pepper and dry basil.
3. Using tongs, place baguette face down in garlic mixture and coat well.
4. Wrap in foil and place in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 5 minutes.
5. Open foil parcel when sardines are done.
Spicy Tartar Sauce:
1. Add mayonnaise, vinegar, Scotch bonnet, scallion, salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl.
2. Whisk until blended well.
3. Set aside in cool place.
1. Gently slice sardines in half and remove spine,.
2. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Sear in a small skillet 30 seconds each side.
4. Remove from heat and keep warm.
5. Add julienned (sliced) onion to the same skillet and sauté until tender.
. Gently place seared sardines on plate, add garnish on top.
. Spoon over tartar sauce on sardines and serve.