Street Food Saturdays in the comfort of your home
Chef Simone Walker-Barrett has 20 years of cooking experience under her belt, and if you have ever attended her month-end Red Stripe- sponsored Street Food Saturdays event tucked away beside a river in Mount James, St Andrew, then you would have been blessed with her creative and mouth-watering dishes.
With the cancellation of its five-year anniversary event that was to be held on March 28, here’s a chance to create your own delectable dishes. Until you get the chance to dine by the river again. Chef Walker-Barrett’s Red Stripe Beer Vibes Cornmeal Pudding and Red Stripe Flavours Lemon Beer Marinated Grilled Chicken Skewers recipes are bound to have you wanting more.
Red Stripe Beer Vibes Cornmeal Pudding Recipe
1 lb cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 tbsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp vanilla
1 cup sweet potato purée
1 cup raisins
1 Red Stripe beer
1 tsp cinnamon powder
2 litres coconut milk
8 oz evaporated milk or cooking/whipped cream
4 oz butter
1 lb sugar
1 pink coconut cream
2 oz sugar
1 oz butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp nutmeg
1. Combine cornmeal and flour in a bowl and set aside.
2. Bring coconut milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter, raisins and salt to a boil.
3. Use a whisk to mix cornmeal into boiling coconut milk until thickened.
4. Stir in cream, sweet potato purée and beer.
5. Pour cornmeal mixture into a greased 12-inch baking pan.
6. Bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.
7. Pour custard liquid on top of cornmeal pudding, increase the oven temperature to 400°F. Bake for 20 minutes more.
8. Remove from the oven. Allow to cool completely before serving.
Red Stripe Flavoured Lemon Beer Marinated Grilled Chicken Skewers
2 lb chicken breast
1 bottle Red Stripe Flavoured Lemon Beer
2 oz oil
2 oz scallion, chopped
1 tbsp lemon zest (optional)
2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tbsp chicken seasoning
1 tbsp Scotch bonnet, minced
1. Wash the chicken breast under running water, dry chicken with a paper towel. Cut chicken breast into 1-inch thick strips and set aside.
2. Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl
3. Pour over chicken strips. Marinate for 10 minutes.
4. Thread chicken strips on bamboo skewers.
5. Cook chicken skewers over hot coals 4 minutes per side, basting in-between turns with marinade.