UWI professor new president of World Organisation of Family Doctors
Professor Marvin Reid, director of the Tropical Metabolism Research Unit at the University of the West Indies Caribbean Institute for Health Research (CAIHR), has been elected for a two-year tenure (2018-2020) as the president of the North American region of the World Organization of Family Doctors (WONCA).
Professor Reid, who is also the president of the Caribbean College of Family Physicians, was the clear choice of his peers for the prestigious appointment at the October 2018 meeting of the World Organization of Family Doctors in Seoul, South Korea.
As president of the North American region, Professor Reid is a member of the WONCA executive and has been tasked with the chairmanship of the membership committee and will play an integral role in the WONCA working party on research.
WONCA is a global network of approximately 2,000 family doctors from 150 countries, whose purpose is to improve the quality of life of the peoples of the world through the provision of appropriate high-quality primary healthcare.
The North American region comprises the following colleges and societies:
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- American Board of Family Medicine
- Caribbean College of Family Physicians
- College of Family Physicians of Canada
- North American Primary Care Research Group
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
- Association of Departments of Family Medicine
- CFPC Section on Teachers and Section on Researchers.