10 Great Sports Moments
There's no doubt that Jamaicans have enjoyed great achievements in sports over the years. Nothing unites us more than when one of our athletes excels on the world stage. Here are 10 great moments in sports since we've been an independent nation.
1. Lennox Miller's silver medal in the 100m at the 1968 Olympics.
2. Bert Cameron's outstanding performance at the inaugural World Championships in 1983. He won 400m gold.
3. Jamaica's women 4x100m relay team's gold-medal performance at the 1991 Tokyo World Championships.
4. Merlene Ottey's world indoor record for the 200m, set in 1993. That record still stands today.
5. Jamaica's sweep of the men's 200m at the 2012 Olympics in London.
6. Jamaica's men and women sweeping the 200m and 400m events at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, in 2014.
7. Asafa Powell's 2005 world-record run of 9.77 seconds in the 100m in Athens.
8. Reggae Boyz's qualify for World Cup 1998.
9. Usain Bolt breaking the world record in the 100m and 200m events at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, and, along with his teammates, breaking the world record in the 4x100m.
10. Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce becoming the first Caribbean woman to win the Olympic 100m title at the 2008 Games in Beijing.
Join the conversation! What were some of your favourite moments in sports? Head to Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter and let us know!