Mon | Sep 24, 2018

Accused in inmate killing might not stand trial - lawyer

Published:Thursday | August 14, 2014 | 12:00 AM
Clementine Williams (left), mother of Adrian Morgan, speaks to a reporter in the company of several protestors outside the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court yesterday. Morgan is one of two men who have been charged in connection with the death of 31-year-old construction worker Mario Deane, who died as a result of injuries from a beating he sustained while in custody at the Barnett Street Police Station lock-up, in Montego Bay.

Adrian Frater, News Editor

Western Bureau:

Based on legal opinion, at least one of the two persons charged with murder, arising from the death of St James construction worker Mario Deane, might be deemed unfit to stand trial based on his mental state.

Twenty-five-year-old Adrian Morgan and 35-year-old Marvin Orr, who were in custody at the Barnett Street Police Station at the time of the alleged beating of Deane in the lock-up, yesterday appeared in court, charged with murder.

Morgan's mother, Clementine Williams of Whitehouse, Westmoreland, said her son is mentally ill.

"Under such circumstances, the court is going to ask for a psychological report on the men to see if they are fit to plea," said St James-based attorney-at-law Charles Sinclair.

"If they are deemed unfit, they will not be asked to offer a plea ... they could then be remanded in custody or placed in a mental facility."

Sinclair added that, if at a future date a psychologist deems that the mentally ill person has sufficiently recovered to stand trial, the case could then proceed.

Alleged cover up

Since the arrest of the two men, several persons, including the family of the deceased man, have been raising doubt about the veracity of the police's claim, arguing that charging the mentally incapacitated cellmate was their attempt at covering up their own wrongdoing.

Williams yesterday told The Gleaner that she had reported her son missing.

"I didn't know where he was. I went to Whitehouse police station, gave a statement, gave a picture, wrote up a missing person form; they put it over the air three times," Williams said, showing her receipt from the police as proof of her claim.

"The police did not tell me that my son was locked up at Barnett Street," said Williams. "If I knew he was there, I would have made efforts to get him out so that he could get the help he needs."