Sun | Jan 20, 2019

Spanish Town Hospital systems to be reviewed

Published:Wednesday | October 8, 2014 | 12:00 AM

AS THE Accident and Emergency Department of the Spanish Town Hospital struggles to cope with a flood of persons seeking medical attention daily, Health Minister Dr Fenton Ferguson has said a review is to be done to improve efficiency and patient flow at the institution.

When The Gleaner visited the hospital on Monday, dozens of chairs in the waiting area of the Casualty and Accident and Emergency Department were taken, leaving scores of persons standing, waiting their turn to be seen by medical personnel.

Following a tour of the hospital on Monday, the health minister said the management of the South East Regional Health Authority (SERHA) and the hospital have been mandated to carry out a review of systems at the health facility.

"We have to continuously look at ways to improve efficiency and patient flow, especially in the Accident and Emergency Department. The region and the hospital will have to implement measures to achieve this in the shortest possible time," Ferguson said.

He noted that officials from SERHA and the management of the facility engaged in dialogue and came up with measures that he said would be further analysed, with a view to implementing appropriate action.


"While we do this, we cannot ignore the matter of customer service. Patients come to these facilities because they are sick and so should be cared for properly and appropriately in every respect. We have an obligation as health workers to ensure the holistic care of every patient," Ferguson said.

In the meantime, the health minister indicated that two reports into recent incidents at the hospital have been completed. He indicated that the reports would also be reviewed by the relevant technical officers in the ministry.

The hospital came in for sharp criticism from members of the public, last week, following the death of a man who visited the institution complaining of stomach pain.

The deceased, Jason Forbes, who reportedly waited for an extended period for treatment while appealing for help, resorted to lying on the floor and reportedly died before medical assistance could reach him.