Firearm in cop's extortion case now at FLA
The case against a St James policeman, who reportedly attempted to solicit J$15,000 from a man last August, was yesterday set for trial on November 26, when the matter came up for mention in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate?s Court.
Constable Gregory Dixon, who is facing an extortion charge, had his bail extended when he appeared before presiding magistrate Ann-Marie Granger yesterday, following confirmation from the prosecution that his firearm, which had been the subject of several enquiries on previous court dates, had been submitted to the Firearm Licensing Authority (FLA), after it was taken from him at the time of his arrest.
?This matter was set for trial on November 26, but for the past few mention dates, we have been trying to find out about his (Dixon) firearm. Today, we were to be provided with proof that it had reached the FLA,? said attorney-at-law Morrel Beckford, who is representing Dixon.
In response, clerk of the court Natalie Malcolm presented a document to the court, confirming that Dixon?s firearm had been brought to the FLA.
?I am pleased to tell the court that I have a document in my h3and, which says the firearm is in the custody of the FLA?s office, in Kingston,? said Malcolm.
Granger subsequently affirmed the trial date of November 26, and extended Dixon?s bail.
Allegations are that, on August 3, 2013, Dixon, who had been on suspension since 2012 for breaches of the Corruption Prevention Act, attempted to solicit $15,000 from a young man who had just left a remittance agency in Montego Bay, St James. When the demand was not met, Dixon allegedly threatened to take the man into custody.
After a second attempt by Dixon, the man reportedly paid over $10,000, then reported the matter to the police Anti-Corruption Branch. An investigation was launched and a file submitted to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, which ruled that Dixon should be charged with extortion.