Tue | Oct 16, 2018

Retired nurse murdered on last day of 2014

Published:Friday | January 2, 2015 | 12:00 AMJanet Silvera and Richard Morais

A former matron at the Falmouth Hospital did not make it into 2015, after she was stabbed to death inside her home on Wednesday by an unknown assailant.

Reports are that Hyacinth Hayden was attacked at her Carey Park home, near Bounty Hall in Trelawny, about 1 p.m. on New Year's Eve, shortly after her husband left her to purchase phone cards.

Hayden, who lived in England for several years before returning to give back to her country by joining the health service, was described as a woman of substance with "a golden heart and always willing to help others".

"She did not only work at the hospital. She served humanity. Going beyond the call of duty to help the patients, especially those less fortunate," said Florence Logan, former vice-president of the National Water Commission and a close friend of Hayden.

On retirement from the hospital, Hayden continued with the profession she loved by working at the infirmary. A justice of the peace for many years, she chaired the Women's Affairs Committee for Trelawny and was an involved member of her church and the Lodge.

"So many persons can attest to her love and care. In order to take a vacation, I had to put in place plans for the care of my ailing husband. Nurse did not hesitate when I requested her help and dutifully attended to him during my absence at no cost," said Logan.

An avid sea-bather, the 79-year-old could be seen at Burwood Beach with her husband, Ashley 'Tiger' Hayden, almost every morning from Monday to Friday.

"We had much laughter and fun there and, God knows, it will never be the same again. May God grant her family, especially her husband Tiger, the strength to go through this period of pain and sorrow," Logan said.

Residents were shocked at the murder, which occurred in broad daylight on New Year's Eve.

Hayden's blood-drenched body was discovered by her husband in the kitchen, where it is believed the attack took place.

At many of the traditional watchnight services in the north of the parish, an atmosphere of gloom took hold as worshippers reflected on the life of this deacon who served at the Granville Baptist Church.