Thu | May 25, 2017

June 1 preliminary hearing for cops in Mario Deane beating

Published:Friday | February 27, 2015 | 2:00 AMChristopher Thomas
Mario Deane

WESTERN BUREAU:

The case against the three police officers facing multiple charges arising from last August's beating death of Mario Deane has been deferred until June 1.

Corporal Elaine Stewart, District Constable Juliana Clevon, and District Constable Marlon Grant are before the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court facing charges of manslaughter, misconduct in a public office and perverting the course of justice.

The three were given the new date for the preliminary enquiry when they appeared before Resident Magistrate Natalie Hart-Hines yesterday.

"The matter was set for today to settle on preliminary enquiry date," clerk of the court Reginald England told Hart-Hines when the case was mentioned yesterday.

Following dialogue with attorney-at-law Karl Singh, who held the matter on behalf of Graham's lawyer Martyn Thomas, Hart-Hines set the new prelim date for June 1.

"The witnesses are to be subpoenaed, and the police liaison officer is to warn the investigating officer to be here ... the prelim date is June 1. Your bails are extended until then," Hart-Hines told the three police defendants.

The trio were charged after Deane, a 31-year-old construction worker, died in hospital on August 6, 2014, from injuries sustained from a brutal beating he received three days earlier while in custody at the Barnett Street lock-up in Montego Bay.

It is alleged that the three police officers were on duty at the time when Deane was denied bail and placed in a cell, where he was subsequently beaten into a state of unconsciousness. Deane had been held for a ganja spliff.

It is further alleged that Stewart gave instructions for the cell, where Deane was beaten, to be cleaned before the arrival of investigators from the Independent Commission of Investigations.

christopher.thomas@gleanerjm.com