Toddler stabbed to death - 8-y-o injured by mentally ill man
A ONE-YEAR-OLD toddler was stabbed to death, allegedly by her mother, while a eight-year-old boy was knifed in the head in separate incidents between Tuesday and yesterday, as the recent spate of vicious attacks on the nation's children continues.
The police and residents say 18-month-old Jay Nelson was found on Tuesday evening "laying on her back in a pool of blood" on the kitchen floor of her Lesterfield, Clarendon home with a stab wound to the chest.
The eight-year-old boy, believed to be a fourth-grade student at Calabar Primary and Junior High School, in downtown Kingston, was chased and stabbed by a man believed to be of unsound mind, just metres from his school as he sought refuge from a nearby vendor. Up to press time, his identity and condition remained unknown.
A plain-clothes policeman, who attempted to apprehend the man, was also stabbed in the head and hospitalised.
Nelson's gruesome death, weeks after two 14-year-old girls were brutally slain in separate incidents in St Thomas and Westmoreland, left relatives and residents in the quiet rural district of Lesterfield searching for answers.
"She loved the child ... . I don't know what happen why she did that," a woman who identified herself as the infant's grandmother told The Gleaner.
But sources said the child may have been killed because the mother lost an ongoing custody battle with the child's father. According to the sources, the woman had been separated from the father for some time. It is further reported that the father who is of a Kingston address was awarded full custody of the child in court, yesterday.
When the mother returned home from court yesterday, she went missing for a while and then the baby was later found in an outside kitchen with several stab wounds.
The child's grandmother was distraught, saying she only learnt of the incident when she saw police and residents gathered in her yard.
The elderly woman, who declined to give her name, revealed that her daughter had some challenges, but never outlined what they were.
Police at the scene revealed that the child's mother has been admitted to hospital for an evaluation.
Clive Mundle, councillor caretaker for the Frankfield division, said no one in the close-knit community "has a clue as to what could have happened."
"[Let us] Stick together, visit the family and lend them your support because something must have been wrong. We need to rally around the family so that we can overcome this," Mundle underscored.
By mid-afternoon yesterday, word came of the attack on the eight-year-old boy.
An eyewitness told The Gleaner that his attacker chased him to the intersection of Duke and Sutton streets where he sought refuge from a female vendor.
However, according to the eyewitness, before the vendor could provide assistance, the man, believed to be of unsound mind, pounced, stabbing the nine-year-old in the head.
"They [the female vendor and another woman] were trying to shield him [the student] but him just use the knife and stab him," the eyewitness recounted.