Sun | Sep 23, 2018

INDECOM attacked while processing scene of fatal shooting

Published:Tuesday | March 31, 2015 | 12:00 AM

A policeman was shot and injured and a team from the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) forced to hurriedly retreat from an incident scene they were processing in east Kingston early yesterday morning when they came under heavy gunfire from men in the Oliver Road area of Kingston 2.

Nigel Morgan, INDECOM's director of complaints for the eastern division, told The Gleaner yesterday that it was the first time a team from the oversight body came under direct gunfire while carrying out its duties.

Asked whether INDECOM would return to Oliver Road to complete its probe, Morgan said the investigative body had planned to return to the area if it felt that it was sufficiently safe to do so.

In July 2013, some members of INDECOM were pinned down because of a gun battle in the vicinity of Karl Samuda Drive, off Red Hills Road in St Andrew, where two brothers had been killed.

heavy gunfire

In yesterday's Oliver Road incident, INDECOM was attempting to process the scene of a fatal shooting in which a man was killed during an alleged confrontation with the police.

The police reported that members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) were on patrol when an alleged confrontation with the man occurred at approximately 11 p.m.

It was reported that while the police were placing the man into the vehicle for transportation to the hospital, a crowd of people who were attending a party in the vicinity attacked the cops by hurling stones in their direction.

According to the commission, approximately 2:15 a.m. while the scene was being processed, the INDECOM team and the police personnel came under heavy gunfire, forcing the teams to leave the scene.

While attempting to leave, two police service vehicles were involved in separate collisions that resulted in one member of the JCF sustaining broken bones. The cop who was shot is currently being treated in hospital.