Thu | Jun 4, 2020

INDECOM probes accidental shooting death of mother at hands of 3-y-o son

Published:Sunday | April 12, 2015 | 12:00 AM

The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) has launched an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of a 28-year-old woman who the police believe was accidentally shot and killed by her three-year-old son.

Rhea Ricketts, a resident of Nairne Castle district in James Hill, Clarendon, was killed with her boyfriend's service firearm.

Her boyfriend, a member of the Jamaica Constabulary Force, attached to the Mobile Reserve Unit, was interviewed, as well as members of the family who were at the premises when the incident occurred.

INDECOM said the hands of the child and the policeman were swabbed and the weapon taken out of circulation and packaged to be submitted to the Government Forensic Laboratory for analysis.

Grief-stricken residents of Nairne Castle yesterday sought to recover after learning that the three-year-old from the usually quiet and peaceful community had accidentally shot and killed his mother.

The incident occurred sometime around 3 o'clock Saturday afternoon after Ricketts, also known as Lucky, went to pick up her two children, who had spent the Easter holiday with their grandmother.

It was later reported that the youngster pulled the policeman's weapon from underneath the pillow and shot his mother once between the eyes.

She was pronounced dead on arrival at the Spaldings Hospital.


brother shocked


The deceased woman's older brother, Junior Ricketts, said he was on his way to the house when he saw a family member running towards the house. He enquired and was told his sister had been shot and killed by her son.

"When I rushed down here, I saw my mom crying and I came up to the van and asked what was wrong. That's when I saw my sister lying in the van back. I looked at her and asked what was wrong. Then I realised blood was coming from her face and there was a hole between her eyes. That's when I realised she was shot," he said.

He said he rushed her to the hospital and the doctors pronounced her dead on arrival.

Ricketts described his sister as a nice person who was jovial and easy to get along with.

"She always visits the family and spends time with us," he added.

As for the rest of the family, he said they were devastated.

"This is like a nightmare. I couldn't possibly imagine that this would have happened to us," said Ricketts in a sombre tone.