Number portability delayed
There is another delay in the introduction of number portability, which will allow phone customers to switch from one network to the other and keep their numbers.
It should have taken effect on May 31 after earlier delays, but in a release
yesterday, the technology ministry said telecommunications companies have been given an 18-day extension for the rollout.
The new date is June 22.
According to the Techno-logy Minister Phillip Paulwell during an emergency meeting earlier this afternoon, LIME, one of the major players in the industry, asked for more time to conduct tests and correct any glitches detected.
"We have granted the extension based on the expressed commitment of industry players to work together to ensure the seamless rollout of number portability in this country," said Paulwell.
"The concession will allow for critical tests to ensure optimum performance and prevent any calamitous system failure that would negatively impact the entire service, impede the porting process, and erode consumer satisfaction and confidence."
However, Paulwell said he was disappointed by the delay.
In the meantime, he said a dedicated project manager would be assigned to monitor and assess the development of the porting process during the extended period and on a daily basis provide him and the regulatory authorities with regular updates.