Mon | Oct 16, 2017

State pumps another $75 million into poverty intervention programme

Published:Wednesday | June 24, 2015 | 12:00 AM

The Portia Simpson Miller-led administration has pumped an additional $75 million into its short-term poverty-intervention project.

Labour and Social Security Minister Derrick Kellier told

the House of Representatives yesterday that the move means members of parliament would be allotted another $1 million each, in addition to the $1 million they each received last year.

He said the same methodology employed last year would again be utilised.

"Each member of parliament will receive a letter that provides details of the project along with the prescribed forms for the submission of beneficiary names and projects," said Kellier.

The minister told the House that the recommendations would be sent directly to the permanent secretary, who will initiate the necessary investigations by social workers to ensure that the projects are productive and beneficial.

In the 2014-15 Budget, $75 million was made available by the Government under the Short Term Poverty-Intervention Project in response to what it described as the economic challenges encountered by vulnerable groups.

Kellier disclosed yesterday that 3,500 poor households benefited from the intervention.

The funding was directed largely towards entrepreneurial ventures and the provision of compassionate grants.