Sat | May 27, 2017

Alleged Payless Car Mart shooter to be deported

Published:Thursday | September 10, 2015 | 9:00 AM

One of the men police claim was caught on tape in the murder of Payless Car Mart operator Robert Mendez is to be deported to Jamaica tomorrow.

Head of the Criminal Investigation Branch, Assistant Commissioner Ealan Powell says Bertram Jenkins is to arrive in Kingston aboard a flight from Canada.

Jenkins had reportedly fled to Canada after the murder.

Powell said Jenkins would be met on arrival at the Norman Manley International Airport and arrested.

His extradition was requested in February this year.

According to Powell, Jenkins would be questioned in the presence of his attorney before he is charged with murder.

The first suspect, 42-year-old John Jarrett, otherwise known as 'Tucker' of Balcombe Drive, Kingston 11, was arrested in July last year.

He has been charged with murder, conspiracy to murder, robbery with aggravation and illegal possession of a firearm.

Mendez, 41, was killed at his car mart on Maxfield Avenue in St Andrew about 8 o'clock on the morning of April 1, 2014.

The attack was captured on closed-circuit television.