Mon | Aug 21, 2017

Another delay in the Mario Deane case

Published:Saturday | January 23, 2016 | 1:00 AMChristopher Thomas

AS IT was for most of last year, the case involving the three inmates charged in connection with the beating death of Mario Deane was again put off yesterday in the St James Circuit Court due to the absence of medical reports, which are needed for the case to proceed.

The matter is now set for April 1, when it is expected that the medical reports will finally become available.

When the trio of Marvin Orr, Adrian Morgan and Damion Cargill, who are all said to be mentally challenged, appeared in court yesterday, they were ordered remanded in police custody after being given their return date by presiding High Court Justice Leighton Pusey.

 

PSYCHOLOGICAL

 

 

ASSESSMENT

 

When the matter was called up yesterday, Cargill's lawyer, Franklin Haliburton, told the court that arrangements were needed to facilitate a thorough psychological assessment of his client, who is a deaf mute.

"In relation to the joint assessment that was requested, what would be necessary is for the gentlemen, especially Mr Cargill, to be back in Kingston. It is just a matter of coordinating time for the doctors to see Mr Cargill," said Haliburton.

The court was also told that statements had been supplied to attorneys-at-law Trevor Ho Lyn and Everton Dewar, who are part of the three inmates' defence team.

Cargill, Orr, and Morgan are charged in connection with the death of Mario Deane, a St James construction worker who died on August 6, 2014, three days after he was beaten into an unresponsive state at the Barnett Street lock-up. He was in custody for the possession of a ganja spliff.