Sat | Oct 21, 2017

Generator fumes suspected in deaths of mother, two kids in St Mary

Published:Friday | February 5, 2016 | 12:00 AMOrantes Moore
The house where the bodies of a mother and her two children were found in Three Hills, St Mary, yesterday morning.

When she walked into her sister's house in Three Hills, St Mary, around 7 yesterday morning, Keneisha Young discovered a horrific scene.

Her 37-year-old sibling, Charla Thompson-Young, 12-year-old nephew Brandon Young, and four-year-old niece Leslie-Ann Young had all died as a result of suspected carbon-monoxide poisoning.

"I went over the house a few minutes after 7 a.m. and saw my sister lying sideways on the bed. Her daughter was on her bed, and my nephew was curled up on the floor in the back room.

"I went on the veranda and started shouting for help. People asked me what was wrong, so I went back inside to double-check, and all I could say was 'All of them'. At that point in time, I couldn't even cry because I think I was still in shock. It felt like I was in a dream."

POWER OUTAGE

Young believes the deaths were caused by smoke fumes from a generator the family used inside the house after the area experienced a power outage yesterday evening.

"They had the generator turned on because light went from some minutes to 7 yesterday evening," she said.

"Apparently, they turned it on so my niece could go to sleep. Light came back around 12 a.m. (midnight), but I didn't realise the generator was still on."

She said it appears the generator was responsible for the deaths as the house "stank of fumes".

"The police said the fumes probably killed them, but we have to wait until further investigations are done," Young told The Gleaner.

"Charla's husband is on his way home from Florida. We were two sisters, married to two brothers, so that's how close the family is. It's very tough because she was my one and only sister."

Relative and neighbour Fiona Young added: "Charla was a quiet and very conservative type of person. I'm very surprised because they normally use the generator outside. But, maybe because she didn't have any help to lift and carry it outside, she just turned it on in the living room."

rural@gleanerjm.com