Jamaican prisoner in The Bahamas says he got glass fragments in his food
Janet Silvera, Senior Gleaner Writer
Matthew Sewell, the Jamaican man suing the Bahamian government for wrongful imprisonment, has reportedly received glass fragments in his meal at the correctional facility where he is being held.
Sewell, who was again arrested last month and accused of having sex with a minor, received glass fragments in his food two consecutive Sundays, says his lawyer, Alex Morley in a statement.
Morley said he visited Sewell around 10:30 a.m on Tuesday February 9, at The Bahamas Department of Corrections.
“He read and signed his affidavit for his bail hearing on Thursday February 10, and he said the following: 'My friend glass bottle my food - I been in hospital yesterday from 5pm - just come back this morning around five,'.”
Sewell told his lawyers that he saw the glass in the peas and rice and showed it to his cell mates.
“Two Sundays now - I scared to eat jail food right now," his lawyer quoted him as saying.
The 28-year-old, who was left in prison for nine years without a trial, coughed up blood and had to be taken to a hospital, where an x-ray has reportedly been done, Morley said.
In the meantime, his lawyers and his father Clive Sewell fear he won’t live to stand trial in this latest matter.
Sewell’s arrest followed reported threats by the Bahamian police.
“When the police came to our house to arrest us, they held a gun to his head and told him he was trying to bring down the government and that they came for him,” said his father.
On arrival at the house the police reportedly said they were looking for drugs, however, shortly after they found out Sewell was the person formerly locked up at Fox Hill, their reason for searching the home changed," said Clive Sewell.
“Two of them drape up Matthew, and ask him what his name was. As soon as they heard, they said they were arresting him for unlawful sex. When I said with who, a policeman said, 'shut you mouth', and slapped me in my face,” the elder Sewell said of his ordeal in January.
Efforts to get a comment from Bahamian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Fred Mitchell, were unsuccessful as his cellular phone rang without an answer.
Further efforts to get a response from Jamaica's Honorary Consul in The Bahamas, Patrick Hanlan, were also unsuccessful.