Cabinet names members of 52 public boards
(EDITOR'S NOTE: A previous version of this story incorrectly identified board chairpersons for the Bank of Jamaica, The General Legal Council, The Independent Commission for the Judiciary, The Board of Supervision, and the Apprenticeship Board. The list as provided by the Office of the Prime Minister did not single out chairpersons from the memberships of these boards. However the chairman of the General Legal Council is Allan Wood.)
The Office of the Prime Minister yesterday revealed the make-up of 52 public boards, including The University Council of Jamaica which Professor Brendan Bain will serve as deputy chairman.
Bain will serve under Dr Carolyn Hayle, who will chair the council which functions essentially as an accrediting, awards, and academic development body for degree, diploma, and certificate programmes proposed and developed at approved tertiary institutions.
Bain had sued the University of the West Indies for more than $40 million after the institution terminated his two-year contract in May 2014.
He was fired by the university on the grounds that his constituents had lost confidence in him after he gave an expert report in a court in Belize.
A church group opposed to a court case brought by a gay man who was seeking to challenge the country's Buggery Law had asked him to give the report.
Bain contended he was fired because of the report.
Politicians on boards
Among other board appointees were several politicians who lost in their bids to represent the Jamaica Labour Party, including Delano Seiveright at the Tourism Enhancement Fund; Dr St Aubyn Bartlett, deputy chair at the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management; Omar Frith at E-learning Jamaica Company Ltd and the Southern Regional Health Authority; and Dennis Meadows at the Transport Authority.
Below see list of some board chairpersons. For full list of board heads and membership visit http://bit.do/BoardList.
1. The General Legal Council
2. The Legal Aid Council
3. The Criminal Records (Rehabilitation of Offenders) Board
4. The Supreme Court Rules Committee
The Chief Justice
5. The Resident Magistrates' Committee
Stephane Jackson Haisley
6. Administrator General Advisory Board
Rev Renard White
7. Justice Training Institute Advisory Board
Justice Zalia McCalla
8. South East Regional Health Authority
9. North East Regional Health Authority
10. Southern Regional Health Authority
11. Western Regional Health Authority
12. Pharmacy Council
13. Savanna-la-Mar Public General Hospital Management Committee
14. National Health Fund
15. National Education Trust
16. Jamaican Foundation for Lifelong Learning
17. Tourism Enhancement Fund
18. Jamaica Tourist Board
19. Tourism Product Development Company
20. Jamaica Vacations Limited
21. Devon House Development Company
22. Spectrum Management Authority Limited
23. E-Learning Jamaica Company Limited
24. Universal Services Fund Company Limited
25. National Energy Solutions Limited
26. Board of Examiners
27. Coconut Industry Board
28. Trade Board
29. Petrojam Limited
30. University Council of Jamaica
Dr Carolyn Hayle
31. Teacher Appeals Tribunal
32. Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management
33. Jamaica Fire Brigade
34. National Solid Waste Management Authority
35. Social Development Commission
36. E-Gov Jamaica Company Limited
Dr. Lloyd Waller
37. University Hospital of the West Indies
38. National Honours and Awards Sub-Committee of the Cabinet
39. Council of Community Colleges of Jamaica
40. Jamaica Library Service
41. Transport Authority
42. Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC)
43. Aeronautical Telecommunications Limited (AEROTEL)
44. Airport Authority of Jamaica
45. Jamaica Racing Commission
46. National Insurance Fund
47. Jamaica Ultimate Tyre Company Limited
48. Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Commission