Sun | Sep 24, 2017

Unacceptable ... Wheatley says islandwide power blackout should not have happened

Published:Sunday | August 28, 2016 | 8:06 AM
Wheatley ... expects to get a report from the Jamaica Public Service Company on the matter by Thursday.‎‎

The Energy Minister Dr Andrew Wheatley has described as unacceptable, last night's all-island power blackout.

"It should NOT have happened," Wheatley posted on Twitter.

He said he expects to get a report from the Jamaica Public Service Company (JPS) on the matter by Thursday.‎‎

It was the second all-island power blackout in four months.‎

Around 5.30 p.m Saturday, the country lost electricity in what the JPS says was caused by a procedural error that resulted in all its generating units going offline ‎at the same time.

Power later began returning to western parishes and by 11.20 p.m, the JPS reported that electricity had been restored to the entire island.‎

"The restoration process had to be done gradually and systematically to ensure the safe return of service to everyone," JPS said in a statement.

The company says it has started its investigations, and will be able to provide further details on the cause of the outage by Monday.‎

- Damion Mitchell